Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Update! (Another super-long post)

Okay, haven't been blogging for a almost a week already. Shall blog a long post. =)

Work

My contract is supposed to end on 25th this month. BUT. Here's the situation: When I joined, there was the assistant marina manager (Dunno why he is called that since there is no marina manager, so who does he assist?? -.-"'). There was also another lady, Zeina. 2 people in the office to take care of admin stuff. The work beyond the office, like launching and recovery of boats etc is run by 10+ boys.

After I worked for a month, Diyanah joined us in March, and picked up pretty fast. Now, Zeina has tendered her resignation for personal and very valid reasons, and she is leaving 8th June. If I were to leave on the 25th, the RSYC marine deprtment will only have a girl with barely 3 months' experience running the office alone...! The manager is seldom in the office, always running about around the club. So, I guess I will have to extend my contract for as long as possible, otherwise RSYC will be pretty much crippled. Say goodbye to my dream of gyming and blading and running and shopping and catching up with people whom I really need to catch up with. =( The consolation, of course, is S. =)

But work is not that bad. Even with all the rude/pervertic/unreasonable members, the screwed-up ******* department, having to work on weekends, the ever-so-'tasty' cafeteria food, I guess at the end of it all I will miss RSYC terribly. So I guess I will treasure my carefree time here. =) There are lots to complain about but lots to be grateful for at the same time. All the friendships forged and experience gained.

Oyah. After the photoshoot thingy, when the publications in the posters and mag got completed, sometimes strangers in the club will suddenly just come up and say, "Hey, I saw you in this-this-this or that-that-that!" Then my standard dumb reaction would be to give a start at first, then smile awkwardly and nod 2 or 3 times with decreasing intensity and mumble something like, "Oh, ya.. hur-hurmph..."

Then there will be this strange silence for a few seconds when I look at him/her and he/she looks back, both of us smiling mildly and expecting the other to do/say something next. Sometimes the person will just mumble something unintelligible in return - usually a polite comment or an obliged compliment - and then go on his/her way. Other times questions will start being pelted at me, the hows and whys and whats. Sometimes I'll be in the cafeteria chewing my ever-so-'tasty' food and these conversations get me all stiff and uneasy. I end up not daring to eat too unglamly or too loudly. =.= Then appetite all gone.

One time I was going to the Finance office and passed by the front office area. Then this person who happened to be sitting around the sofa area reading a magazine just suddenly caught sight of me and stood up, stopping me in my tracks. Startled me till I jumped and almost dropped the tax invoice and money la. Then he did this really STRANGE thing of shoving the magazine roughly into my face. Or rather, shoving it NEXT to my face, just 1 mm away. Then he started comparing and saying loudly, "Eh! You ah!" Then I was like, "...??" And when the questions from him began I was dazed and still quite startled, and couldn't answer in a comprehensible way. I think the reception guy who witnessed it was smiling in amusement at the situation la. Raawwrr. Traumatised. And the worst part? After the convo I forgot that I was heading to the Finance department and walked all the way back to my office before remembering with a start where I was supposed to go. Lame shit la. I suspect the reception guy noticed this too, when I walked back again. I hope he smiles till his lips drop off.

There is also this guy who often comes by our office often. He's not really part of RSYC. But he is involved in some ways... I think as a teacher or something, in some courses conducted here. I think. Anyway he was involved in quite a lot of things for the past few months, including some training thingy for a group of 20+ girls who were escorts for the VIPS during the Boat Asia 2008. I remember this vividly because that day the girls were gathered outside our office waiting for something, then he came in to take something like a key, then he explained the girls' presence to us.

Then a week ago when he got a whiff of the recent publications, he told me that I have to show them to him, and started questioning me about my (non-existent) interest in modelling. It was the exact same thing that Howie suggested to me, which was to take it up part-time whilst schooling in Uni. I still cringe at my answer to him. I said something cynical like, "It is difficult to know which agency to trust. Girls get cheated all the time." Something along those lines. Then he said something like, "Oh, you have to go the the well-known ones. Don't go to small ones... usually they are bogus." Then now that I think back, it was such a stupid and rude answer because HE himself has friends running such agencies and has collaborations with them too. OMG. I never think before I speak man.

Anyway I think such careers in modelling are very unstable. Firstly, from what I was told, most models are bound to their company, (meaning not allowed to be attached to multiple companies) and are usually waiting / competing for assignments. The pay per hour might be incredible but the high rates are useless if you can't clinch enough assignments. s$100/hr, so what? What if you only get 1 assignment per week, or even per month? That is why most of them just do it as a part-time thing, while balancing other jobs at the same time. It is a physically and mentally draining job, yet at the same time pretty brainless as well. Other careers that are similarly heavily dependent on physical attributes - like being an air-stewardess - are also bad ideas because if you delve into it without furthering your education, by the time you are 30 you will be too old for your profession, rapidly and easily replaced by younger and better qualified girls, and you will lack any qualifications or experience to clinch a similar-paying job in other professions.

Thus, people, it is dangerous. Be wary of such temptations! One colleague from another dept told me about a girl who started being an air-stewardess even before receiving her A lvl results. Our age, I think. That's pretty risky. Dunno what will become of her. Anyway she is still undergoing training. Have to train for like 6 months I think. This kind of thing really sets one thinking huh?

Argh. Actually I can't think now. I'm getting very distracted becuse the temple just opposite my room is burning something smelly. Argh. Filling my whole room. And since Mother's Day, there was some Getai thingy at the temple every night, with awful female hokkien singers wailing their songs loudly. You know la. Those typical love songs they sing that sound like they are crying. Thank God it stopped today. But now got a new irritation which is the burning smell. Aiyo. Maybe the temple is on fire. There's really a gigantic cloud of smoke coming from the middle of the temple. But no screaming or anything, so should be ok. Stinks la. Oops... I very bad. Should learn to be more tolerant of religious activities.

Tuition

Everything is going okay so far. Three students: Wei Xuan (Sec 3), Wei Jien (Sec 2), Wei Ting (Sec 1), all from the same family. I enjoy teaching Wei Jien the most! Cos he makes me laugh like hell la. =D There was once when I was trying to teach him the proper pronunciation of 'th'. I was like laughing thorugh it all, and so was he. He damn funny la. Dunno how to explain in words. It's the kind of thing that you must see personally to see the funny side. By the end of it he was complaining that his tongue very tired. HAHA!! I physically torture my students. But I also kena splattered by his saliva ok! Not much better off. =D

Blading

Addicted la! Tomorrow is my third blading lesson le. Going blading 2 hrs before the lesson. Haha! Shuang. Although I'm still quite unsteady and can't go fast. It's like learning how to walk la. I fell once on my first lesson, then once on my second lesson. The gears are not very useful for me cos both times I fell on my butt. Which is wrong cos the right way is to fall, praying style, to the front. For both lessons so far I'll wake up the next morning feeling as if I just got a stroke on the right side of my body. Strangely enough only my right limbs and waist and butt get sore. X.x

And guess wad? Last week, I fell down while going to work. I was walking fast fast to the shuttle bus, because the uncle gets annoyed easily when people don't go early. Then I happily tripped over an area of the floor where the ground suddenly rises 1/2 cm higher without warning, like a mini single-stepped stair. It's actually pretty dangerous la, that area. Now when I think back I feel pissed at whoever was paving the ground with concrete and didn't bother to even out the ground. Imagine all the old people who might have lost their lives cos of that crooked bit, tripping and falling to their glorious deaths. GRR. Anyway it was so ironic because when I have gears on, I fall backwards on my unprotected butt, but when I am gear-free and fresh and neat and ready for work, I fell forwards in the 'correct' praying style. Really all fours on the ground, hailing some goddess of war or something. It was very sudden and I was down on the floor before I even realised I had tripped. Thank God I was wearing pants that covered my knees. And thank God the bus just happened to move behind a giant wall at that moment so no one saw my unglamness. And S didn't take the bus that day, so all the better. =D There was this auntie who was walking in the opposite direction twards me though. After I fell, I immediately got up to continue rushing for the bus, and I caught the aunty's expression. She looked so stunned and in shock (I think my fall was quite loud and looked quite painful) that I actually decided to stop and reassure her that I was ok, that it was alright. She just continued to stare at me with an open mouth. LOL!! See how sad I am?! I fall down le got no one to comfort me, and I am the one having to comfort other people. Goodness. -.-"' The only thing was the knees of my pants got dirty, and I had to wash them and go around with wet knees in the office for a while. As usual I am the 'Xi3 Yi1 Po2', even after leaving JC. In JC I was forever washing clothes in the toilet (rmb Kit?), be it ties or shirts, after accidentally dipping them in 'dou4 hua1' etc. Anyway the next day I got a GIGANTIC bruise on my left knee. It is still there now actually, after one week. Ok la actually it isn't a single gigantic one. More like several small and medium ones very close to each other, covering almost the entire knee. My right knee was only scratched a teeny bit. My left knee looks so purple it seems diseased. >.<

Okay I realise I am totally getting out of point cos I was supposed to talk about blading. But the smoke from the temple is messing with my brain and eyes and I feel sleeeeepy and tired now. Shall catch a good night's sleep cos tml got 4+ hours of blading to do. YAWN!!! (I really yawned as I typed la!! haha!)

Oya!! I'm contemplating rebonding. But I dowan my hair to end up flat and dead. I still want it to be a little wavy. Know wad I mean right? Or else will make my round head look even smaller. Not proportional to my body and limbs siah. I'll rather be big-sized everywhere than to look like an alien. Ok I really can't think straight now. Dunno wad I'm typing.

I hope I fall in the correct praying style tomorrow. Wonder wad I shall wear tml?

Night!! 7 minutes to midnight now.

P.S. I ran out of perserverance awards so for those of you who got this far, 'grats and muacks! Take it as training for reading thick Uni notes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home